Connectivity issues abroad tend to fall into two categories:
- You can connect to a network but have no mobile data access, only WiFi.
- You have no service whatsoever - you're unable to connect to a foreign network.
No Data Access
The supply of mobile data when abroad hinges on your device being correctly configured to our mobile data service settings. Check out the link and for your operating system, follow the simple step-by-step guide to configure your settings. You'll need to be connected to a WiFi service to read and perform the change. https://www.plan.com/apn-settings
Other possible cause of data non-availability include:
- Your roaming data option in your device's settings may not be activated.
- A restriction has been implemented by your account administrator to prevent roaming usage or specific roaming usage (such as roaming calls usage).
- You've reached your limit! If there is a Spending Control¹ in place you will be sent a Captive Page when you've reached your pre-configure spending limit.
- Daily Explorer or Executive Traveller bolt-ons applied? Each has a 14 day per calendar month activation limit. Check messages or email for notifications from us, relating to usage and barring.
- You've spent more than two months abroad out of four months and we may have barred your service, in line with our Ts&Cs.
No Service At All
In the unlikely event that you're unable to connect to a network abroad, the best option is to manually select a network, through your handset's settings.
Operating systems vary.
- Apple users will find the option in their mobile data sub-menus
- Android users should opt for the Mobile Networks or More Networks option
- Windows users should opt for Network & Wireless > cellular & SIM > SIM settings > Network Selection
Need a bolt-on², to provide continued, reduced cost roaming?
From the dashboard of your my.plan account go to:
PRODUCTS > DATA >
- Daily Explorer (single day allowances)
- Executive Traveller (single day allowances for Exec.plan tariff subscribers)
- Global Traveller Data / Minutes (calendar monthly allowances)
¹availablke to Gold & Platinum account users and Essential account users via an upgrade
²account permissions required