Understanding how to access data and navigating your data usage can sometimes be a challenging task when dealing with mobile devices. This guide aims to shed light on common data-related issues experienced by plan.com users, including data access, slow data speed, and concerns while at home, roaming or while tethering.
Data Access Bars
In some cases, you may experience barred data access or no data access when roaming. This could be due to several reasons:
- Device settings: Incorrect or outdated network settings on your device might also affect your data access.
- Roaming: Roaming might limit data access due to the different policies of foreign carriers. If you're missing calls or texts, there might be an issue with your device's network settings or you might be in an area with bad reception. Try restarting your device or moving to a location with better reception. If the issue persists, contact our support team at email@example.com.
- Status of your account: If your bill is unpaid or your data access has been suspended due to exceeding your limit, you might lose data access.
You can view your current data usage in the my.plan portal.
- Login to your my.plan account.
- Open the Usage module from the top navigation menu.
- Use the service type buttons (Data, Voice, SMS) to select the type of service.
Your usage statistics are shown for the selected service type.
You may sometimes experience slow data speeds or text latency issues. This could be due to network congestion, being in a poor coverage area, or your device not working optimally.
You can improve slow data speeds by:
Updating your device to its latest software version.
Closing apps running in the background.
Restarting your device.
Running Out of Data
Running out of data can often cause a disruption in your daily activities. If you run out of data, you have two options:
Purchase more data: You can buy a bolt-on (one-off data add-on) to tide you over until your allowance refreshes.
Conserve your data: Manage your data usage more strategically by adjusting your settings, such as Wi-Fi assist, background app refresh, and auto-update apps.
Remember, managing your data usage efficiently can prevent future disruptions and you can configure Captive Pages to ensure that you always on top of your data usage.
Tethering (or hotspotting) your data allows you to share your device's data connection with another device. While it's a convenient feature, keep in mind that it can consume your data allowance more quickly.
Each device and operating system has its own mechanism by which to activate this feature, but it's typically in the device's Settings menu and called something like Tether or Hotspot and sometime Mobile Data Sharing.
Roaming allows you to use your device abroad. However, it's important to note that some services might not work when roaming due to restrictions by the foreign carrier. If you're having issues making calls when roaming, consider checking your device's settings and restarting your device. If issues persist, contact our support team.
For more information about using your plan.com network device outside the United Kingdom, please see Roaming.